I love the feel of cotton jersey t-shirts, but alas, some of them end up in the back of my drawer because of a stubborn stain that I just can’t get out. But that doesn’t mean that it needs to be the death of the tee – here’s another way to upcycle that comfy shirt and get more wear out of it.
The T-Shirt Bracelet
1. Cut three strips off of the tee, equal length…then put a stitch or two at the tops of the strips to hold them together (You can add a piece of embroidery thread here too for some extra color & texture)
2. Gently pull on all three pieces so that the material curls up slightly
3. Start braiding the t-shirt strips together – if you’ve added embroidery thread just braid it with one of the jersey strips
4. After you’ve braided the strips, figure out what length works for your wrist and then cut the excess material off
5. Secure the two braided ends with a stitch or two just to hold together
6. Take a scrap piece of the tee and wrap around the ends of the braid, then stitch up and invert the scrap piece so that the stitches are now on the inside and not visible…You can add a dab of hot glue to further secure the braided ends of the bracelet underneath the scrap covering
And you can make the bracelets thinner or thicker depending on how wide you cut your strips of fabric in step 1. This is really a very basic t-shirt idea but it can be jazzed up with beading, zippers, chains, etc…
Happy t-shirt upcycling…again!