All of us are feverishly getting ready for the upcoming holiday season. We’re shopping, decorating, cooking, baking – all this on top of our daily workload. It’s so easy to neglect our skin during this season of hustle and bustle. As I was winding down from a day of shopping this week I caught a glimpse of my face in a floor to ceiling mirror and had to do a double-take. Whoa…I said. I really need a facial. Then I looked down at my hands. They looked as though someone had dusted them with flour or chalk. Whoa…I said. I need a paraffin dip in a major way. But who has time for that right now? Not to mention the budget…
Well, if your fortunate enough to have the time AND the budget you should really go splurge at a fantastic spa in Northern New Jersey called Depasquale The Spa. They have amazing facials and skin therapies available from anywhere between $50 and $300. Definitely an enjoyable treat for yourself or… it would make a fantastic Christmas gift from your significant other (hint, hint). However, if you don’t have the time, energy or money to sit down and actually relax until sometime in March of 2011 here’s some quick tips to keep your skin looking young, fresh and healthy during these winter months.
1. Try not to take a scalding hot shower. I know, its tough – especially when that bathroom tile floor is so miserably cold. The hot water really dries out your skin and removes the moisture from it more quickly then luke-warm water.
2. Get yourself a great exfoliator that you can use on a weekly basis. I just tried St. Ives Apricot Scrub and I LOVE it! It is not greasy and smells delicious. Totally in my price range, too – about $4-5.
3. Moisturize your skin daily. Make sure your lotion’s top ingredients have some sort of butter in there…cocoa, shea, etc. Avoid creams that have alcohol in them – this defeats the whole idea of “moisturizing” your skin…alcohol REMOVES moisture. L’Occitane has some amazing shea butter products that are as low as $15.
4. Drink a lot of water…I mean, A LOT! Even if you think you are drinking enough, drink more. Your body needs this water in the winter months as much as it does in the warmer months. In the winter we experience much drier conditions due to a drop in humidity outdoors so we need to really keep ourselves hydrated in order for our skin to remain smooth and supple. If the thought of drinking MORE water makes you want to bury your head in your itchy, dry hands then try drinking herbal teas. Not only are you drinking water, you can choose some that have immune boosting properties to fight those nasty germs that are lurking all around us this time of year. The Republic of Tea has a great one you can grab for about $10.
5. Purchase a bronzer – but not one that makes you look as though you were just spray-tanned orange. I love the one from bareMinerals because it does not have any harsh chemicals in it that would damage my skin. They have bronzers for $18 and $30.
Ofcourse, I could not talk about skin without showing at least one picture of an item that could cover my skin! 🙂 Here are a gorgeous pair of gloves from Anthrolopolie that you NEED to have on your wish list.
Oh, and remember – you would be surprised at how lovely smiling makes your face look…it takes away years! So go ahead, smile on!
A cheerful heart brings a smile to your face; a sad heart makes it hard to get through the day. Proverbs 15:13